At Shirestone Academy we value the many different cultures, and religions that make us a diverse multicultural school. RSE is taught in a way which is complementary to the wider ethos, values, and principles of the work we do at Shirestone Academy.
The aims of relationships and sex education (RSE) at our school are to:
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place.
- Prepare pupils for puberty and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene.
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence, and empathy.
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships.
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies. All teaching will be age appropriate and focus on friendship, family relationships and relationships with other children and with adults.
2. Statutory requirements
As a maintained primary school, we must provide relationships education to all pupils as per section 34 of the Children and Social work act 2017.
The Relationships Education, RSE, and Health Education (England) Regulations 2019 have made Relationships Education compulsory in all primary schools.
RSE is about the emotional, social, cultural and physical development of pupils, and involves learning about relationships, healthy lifestyles, diversity and personal identity.
RSE involves a combination of sharing information, exploring issues and values.
There is often concern that RSE will encourage sexual experimentation however evidence shows that those who receive effective RSE at school are more likely to delay first sexual activity and to use contraception.
RSE is not about the promotion of sexual activity.
The documents below are there to give you some guidance, view our policy and give you an opportunity to provide some feedback. The resources we are using are also linked so you are able to see what we are covering for your child's year group.
Please click to see the government guidance on delivering RSE
Please click to see the school policy on RSE, there is the option to request a withdrawal
Please use this form to submit any information you would like the school to consider